Hopefully you have already designated beneficiaries on your important financial accounts.
Now it’s time to make a one-stop list of your financial accounts. Here’s a list of common accounts that might apply to you. Of course, add any others you have.
- Checking Account
- Savings Account
- Money Market Account
- Financial Tracker Account (like Empower, formerly Personal Capital)
- IRAs (Roth, traditional, rollover, etc. )
- Employer Retirement Account (401k, 403b, 457, SEP IRA, Solo 401k, etc. )
- Employer Benefits (stock options, deferred compensation, profit-sharing, etc. )
- Taxable Brokerage Account
- Stocks / Bonds / I bonds / Treasury Bills (note if you have paper certificates)
- HSA (note where receipts are kept)
- Digital Wallets (Apple Cash, PayPal, Stripe, Venmo, Wise, etc. )
- Foreign accounts
Include the following for each account where applicable:
- Type of Account (checking, employer retirement, etc.)
- Institution or company (Bank of America, Charles Schwab, credit union, etc.)
- Individual or joint (and joint account holder’s name)
- Account or policy number
- Username & password
- Contact Person
- Location of physical documents, cards, checkbooks, etc.
This prompt’s printable includes two options: one sheet with detailed space for two accounts per sheet and one sheet with space for the basics. Use what works best for you. Print as many copies as needed to include all your accounts.